Reopening Guidance: Summer Sports
As we head into the holiday weekend, I want to provide you with updates from Governor Kim Reynolds’ announcements earlier this week and what it means for Waukee students and families. As current restrictions and guidelines are modified, we continue to do our best to respond with timeliness and accuracy. Please note that when modifications are announced live from the Governor’s Office to the public, we have no prior notification of the content. We learn in real-time alongside all of you. We appreciate your patience while we work to respond to changing guidance and proclamations.
- Practice for baseball and softball can begin June 1
- Games for baseball and softball can begin June 15
- All other team organized sports and activities are still suspended until July 1
- Further guidance will be issued by the Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) and the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union (IGHSAU)
Points of Clarification:
- This is only for high school baseball and softball. All junior high sports are still suspended.
- All other in-person organized activities are still suspended. Examples include:
- weight conditioning for all sports
- drama productions
- band practice
- Transportation guidance is forthcoming
- This is voluntary. No schools are required to begin baseball and softball if they feel they are unable to do so. We are working closely with other CIML schools to further clarify expectations that would allow for competition.